Sunday, June 19, 2005

My poem for DC

So next month is my 5 year anniversary living in DC. I feel like I was 19 and just moved here yesterday..not really. LOL.

But I wrote a little poem:

DC, its been 5 years - you & me
To my apartment, the longest place I ever resided in, my whole life
thanks to my nomad upbringing
Down the streets, I can hear the homeless people singing
The same ones I buy water for, when the heat index is 108 and
then proceed to yell "I don't want this". The only city where beggars try to be choosers

Where people like Marion Barry get re-elected - what a loser
Every other weekend offers gay festivities like Leather Bear Weekend, Cherry and Pride
No parades for the straight
Lauriol Plaza is a nice place for a date

If you like geometry, we offer lots of circles
Our buildings must be short
Walk down 12th St. far enough on a Saturday, and you can see a plenitude of whores
For fun, go to Union Station and take a Duck Tour

930 Club is one of the highlights of DC
At least to me
We have 3,092 CVS's only to be outnumbered by 3,339 Starbucks
But watch out Starbucks, Caribou Coffee is not far behind
Go to the Black Cat for a good show
Watch out for all the one way streets - look at the signs
Go to Feline's Basement for a good find
This is the city to live if a lawn you don't want to mow
Use somebody's roof top pool, to unwind


We have one of the cleanest metros in the world
Just be sure to get into the system by 6pm, as our transit system doesn't run 24 hours like normal places
Be sure to take pictures of you with the pandas, elephants,donkeys and your face

We now have our own baseball team
Too bad "taxation without representation" is still in effect
But that is just our priorities
You can win twice a day with the DC lottery

There is no other city like DC
where your GPA, where you went to school and what you do for a living- are the only conversations people can hold
You can go to the street vendor and get a cheesy FBI t-shirt in red, blue, pink or gold

We have good job opportunities and lots of fun stuff to do
This is the non-profit Mecca of the world
Go to Union Station to get aboard the choo-choo
Go to the 24 Hour CVS to wait in line for 10 hours because someone has to return
a stick of glue

See the Cherry Blossoms, Rock Creek Park, The Monument or The White House
In August, Congress is not in session
There are plenty of places to go for a salsa lesson
If you want to see the largest rats, Adams Morgan is a good place to look
Go to Kramers, Borders or Barnes and Noble, for a good book.

4 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen, that was so awesome! Congrats on your 5 Years!

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger kob said...

Loved your poem. Nice work.

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen--you crack me up! I loved your comment about geometry... You better become famous one of these days or the world is missing out on one of the great comic geniuses of the 21st century.

I can't believe you have been in DC for 5 years. It seems like just yesterday that little Jen Bivona came wandering into my life--and my closet :)

-Victoria

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A

 

Post a Comment

<< Home